Today we had our retrieval. To say the least it was not what we expected. We arrived at 8 as we were told and were quickly taken back to a room. The nurse came in and went over our new calendar that will take us up until next Friday ( my second beta to determine pregnancy).
Roger and I hung out until they had me get changed and led me to my surgery room. It all happened so quickly, I was knocked out, they took out the eggs and then i was woken up like 30 minutes later. All in all we left by 10 AM.
So next comes the disappointing and discouraging news. They only retrieved 14 eggs. The first thing I asked when I woke up was "how many eggs did you get"? When the nurse told me I almost started crying. Roger was right there telling me it was a good number and that it was okay. I kept repeating the number over and over.
How could this happen with so many follicles? I wondered myself and asked the doctor when he came in to the room. He said that I had ovulated some of the eggs. Apparently this happens to less than 1.5% of women going through IVF. He also said that some of the 30 follicles were small and didn't contain eggs.
I was so mad. I had felt like I should have triggered earlier then I was told too. I had a great E2 level and my follicle count was so good. The doctor said to coast and my E2 level shot up so I couldn't trigger until it went down. I even told Roger on Tuesday that I thought I should trigger, but I am not a medical professional so it wasn't up to me. I feel like the doctor waited to long to trigger me and that's why I ovulated.
After sleeping for a few hours at home and talking more to Roger I have calmed down and gained perspective. 14 eggs is a good number, not what I wanted but still good. Some women would be ecstatic with 14 as their retrieval number. I just felt heartbroken that some of the eggs had ovulated :(
How do I feel after retrieval?
Can I just say I was not prepared for the pain I feel tonight. I am SO sore from my belly button down. The doctor said this is normal because the follicles were drained of fluid and were pushed and prodded with the needle during the retrieval. I could barely walk!!
Tonight Roger took me to our favorite NYC style pizza place where I get baked ziti( its amazing). I had taken a pain pill before we left but forgot to take the anti-nausea tablet with it..big mistake! As soon as we walked in the door I ran to the bathroom and threw up 2 times.
All in all a rough, disappointing, painful day. Everyday is new though, must stay positive!!!!
What's next?
Tomorrow we get our call with how many eggs fertilized, and the waiting game begins!
Here is the verse I am focusing on tonight : Psalm 138:8 "The Lord will perfect that which concerns me(us)."

No comments:
Post a Comment